Saturday 25 August 2012

VENERABLE BEADS


There is no doubt that the Newark International Antiques Fair, which we attended this week, offers plenty for girls who love beads. Who wouldn't happily while away the hours inspecting and comparing colour, sparkle and clunkiness?
                                                                             


As a child I used to collect beads and swop them, like stamps or tea cards, prizing them for their beauty rather than their rarity. I still feel the same, though I know a little more about them. They were first made by early man in pre-historic times, thousands of years before the Ancient Egyptians made these simple tubular faience beads.


They come from every part of the world and are made from all materials...


...carved bone and lacquer from Japan, Chinese glass,


European glass trade beads used by African tribes,


shell and turquoise from North America,


plastic Art Deco beads for a modern young thing in the 1920s.


In the 21st century some beads, amber and coral, are bought by weight and not solely for their beauty.

***



As usual there was plenty to choose from at the Newark fair, and many buyers too. Gentle browsers and keen collectors ...


...I THINK she's saying,"Gimme the beads or else!"

***

18 comments:

  1. Must get to that fair, my friend always goes and says it is brilliant. I learnt something today, very interesting nilly, I used to swop beads too, kept them in an old tobacco tin! jayne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would enjoy it and find some very useful bits & pieces for your creations.

      Delete
  2. It looks like there were lots of interesting beads there. The soft colors of the ancient Egyptian faience beads catch my eye every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Egyptian ones are lovely. I have also found them in the shape of animals and the Eye of Horus.

      Delete
  3. Loved reading the history of the beads and enjoyed how beautifully and thoughtfully you had presented them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It helps to have a house full of "useful" odds and ends!

      Delete
  4. Oh excellent title - hooked me in immediately! Loved the history and, as Rosemary says, how well you presented it all.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - I just went up to the attic & got creative!

      Delete
  5. I bought a lovely chunky collar of dyed coral beads at Kempton and I thought I was the cats whiskers wearing them on a white shirt...and then it started raining...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone we know "does" Kempton from time to time. It sounds great, but not for the faint-hearted.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the most informative post! Good to see you at Newark. Love that expression "gentle browsers"......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In shops & centres I'm often asked "Are you just browsing?" and I always want to answer, "No, I'm hunting!" - but I bite my tongue.

      Delete
  7. My, but I wanted to be sliding those necklaces along the rack to inspect them all on that second to last photo............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huge antiques fairs like the one at Newark are full of inspiration, whatever your interest - antiques, arts, crafts...

      Delete
  8. Really lovely post and photos, Nilly. I never wear beads but you certainly make me wonder about my decision not to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm a bit of a bead addict, and it dates from those early collecting days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. purple pop sox... on accopunt of being short'n'stumpy I don't do pop sox but anything bright in tights is a definite YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm short & stumpy too but just cannot resist colour - and the dreaded p-socks are usually under long skirts, leggings, baggy pants etc.

    ReplyDelete