Tuesday 22 January 2013

BOHEMIAN CONNECTIONS


I knew from the start that Mr. N wished he was a little bit more bohemian. He was besotted with the antics of the Bloomsbury Group - their art, their writing, their complicated relationships, but even so I was a little shocked when he introduced me to his new inamorata in the garden at Charleston farmhouse some years ago.
"I think I love her." he said.
"She has a heart of stone and feet of clay," I snapped,"You won't get far with her!"


Admittedly the house is dreamy - I have been obsessed with that elusive combination of palest blue-grey paintwork with mellow stone or brick ever since I first saw it. I can't get enough of Bloomsbury style.


They do say that there are only 6 degrees of separation between everyone in the world - honestly, it says so here! I had already experienced my own  brush with Bloomsbury - long ago, when I was an art student, Quentin Bell (son of Vanessa Bell, nephew of Virginia Woolf) had paused beside my painting and said "Hmmm." Could I find a connection for Mr N, to satisfy the poor man's longings?
Here goes...

Mr N's grandmother Lavinia worked as a maid in London during the 1920s and 1930s. Among the few papers we have that belonged to her at this time is a promotional booklet, celebrating the forthcoming coronation of George VI in 1937, produced by Moss Bros. & Co.Ltd. and sent out to their customers.



It contains a letter addressed to R Bernays Esq. of 86 Petty France in the City of Westminster.


***

Here is Vanessa Bell, artist and Bloomsbury muse who made her home at Charleston.


Here is Virginia Woolf, her sister, an avant-garde Bloomsbury novelist who...


...had an affair with Vita Sackville-West, gardener and writer who...


...was married to Harold Nicolson, bisexual diplomat, writer and politician whose "close friend" was...


...R. Bernays MP.


Here, below, is Mr Bernays on the 1938 electoral roll, with Lavinia, presumably his employee, a few names down.


(I hope she never burned his toast.)

I think that's only 5 degrees of separation! Will that do, Mr N?

***

23 comments:

  1. Wow, only five too! We visited the house last year as I had been so intrigued by the stories of those in the Bloomsbury group and the goings on in this house. We have a friend who was a guide there and he introduced me to a lot I never knew about them and a desire to learn more. Do you still have the painting that Quentin 'hmmmm'ed at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly,I don't have the painting any more. I went through a phase, aged about 40, when all sorts of life changes were happening & I threw out a few things I wish I hadn't.

      Delete
  2. Lavinia Hall was Mr N's grandmother.....Gwen Hall was my grandmother. Could there be 6 degrees of separation in the Hall family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so amusing - our Halls were from the North Yorkshire/Cleveland Hills area in the 18th & 19th centuries, so maybe not. I wonder if I could get back to the Middle Ages in 6 degrees...

      Delete
  3. I love that photograph of Vita, she looks so beautiful.
    I too have always had a fascination for the Bloomsbury group - the more you read about them, the more bizarre and intriguing their love triangles become.
    I think for me, I would want to move away from the connection by a few degrees, not closer. Although fascinating, they were far too avant-garde for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Mr N, I have always wished I was a bit more avant-garde. We are two of a kind.

      Delete
  4. When I get stir-crazy, I jump in the car and take myself off to Charleston. It's just an hour away. Standing in the dining room I imagine the talk around the table; I wander around the garden willing my ticket back in time to arrive any day soon.

    Later, much later, sat outside Bill's, luncheon ordered, glass of wine to hand; I sit and watch the world go by. What interesting people live in Lewes, nobody, but nobody looks normal. My kind of place.

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect to me - I wish it was only an hour from us. I wonder if you have read Angelica Garnett's memoir "Deceived With Kindness" - fascinating!

      Delete
  5. Well Nilly you have yourself a shorter connectivity to Charleston because............ I follow your blog and you follow mine and I work at Charleston, what do you think of that?

    Jean xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm very envious! I wonder if there's still a bathroom with a bath behind a screen - our youngest hid in there once when we were doing the tour. "The very bath that Duncan dunked in." said Mr N.

      Delete
  6. Should do very nicely indeed for Mr N. Lovely story well told. I long to visit Charleston ... one day. Thank you. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love artist's houses. We're going to try to visit Farley Farmhouse in Sussex, home of Roland Penrose and Lee Miller, later this year.

      Delete
  7. I agree, you are nicely connected.
    That whole Bloomsbury Group has always interested me as well.
    But for some reason I also have always found them a bit sad, not quite sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree,I don't think there are many photographs of any of them smiling - and their lives did contain a more than average amount of angst, I think.

      Delete
  8. What an interesting little trail ... and tale. I would love to visit Charleston one day. M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very well worth the effort, it's inspiring - I think you would love Ellen Terry's home at Smallhythe Place too.

      Delete
  9. Wow yet another fascinating post Nilly, was Mr N satisfied with your search? I agree with you, I do think it is the most beautiful house, just quite perfect. jayne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is colourful & inspiring - full of hand-made pieces, and improvised decoration. I love it.

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed this post.
    Only five degrees of separation - that's impressive... and only three from Vita Sackville-West: I think that would allow you to swan around Sissinghurst as if it was your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't dare - I'm sure Vita is still keeping an eye on the place & would strike me down with a bolt of lightening!

      Delete
  11. Fabulous... Inside and Out! I could definitely Live there. *Winks*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bohemian life suits me too! Thanks so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi nilly

    I know you have always longed for a Bloomsbury lamp. I'm selling mine, which I think you saw on my blog once. I thought I would see if you wanted it before i go off and sell it. I couldn't find an email address anywhere for you so I've posted a comment on this old post and hope you get the message.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete