Wednesday 12 March 2014

TAKE A CLOSER LOOK

 
We fetched up recently in Wakefield for an antiques fair and thought it would be a good opportunity to visit the excellent Hepworth Gallery for the first time. We found it easily, close to the town centre, an angular, grey building overlooking the Calder and Hebble Navigation and set in an atmospheric, semi-industrial landscape.
 


 
 
We'd come to the Hepworth to see a brilliant new exhibition of work by the American photographer, Philip-Lorca diCorcia - photographs taken between 1975 - 2012. Here's what has been said about the exhibition:
 
"If you have never seen these images in person, I urge you to make the journey to Wakefield." The Guardian.
 
"The Hepworth Wakefield refers to diCorcia as one of America's greatest photographers, and for once it doesn't sound like puff." The Independent.
 
"Already giving the big London Galleries a run for their money, the Hepworth Wakefield has pulled off another major coup." The Yorkshire Post. Well, they would say that!
 
It's worth watching this film of diCorcia explaining the ideas behind his intriguing photographs - here.
They can appear to be quite random and informal, but are often elaborately staged. They seem meaningful but mysterious, prompting questions; "Are they who we think they are?" "What is their relationship?" "What just happened?"
We were not permitted to take our own photos in the gallery so here are a few of Mr N's own photos which I think, probably by chance, have a similar feel.



 
 
*
I think he's sulking - this time he forgot to bring HIS camera!
 
 
***

18 comments:

  1. It's a great day out.
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well worth a visit - this was our first time1

      Delete
  2. Mr N should have his own exhibition .... His photographs are good
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've passed on your compliment! We haven't "crossed the border" into the Great North for ages, but hope to come up to Gateshead on Easter Monday. Hope Ottie is well!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed watching the video about diCorcia. I never heard of him before. Thanks for opening a window for me onto something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you Judie, I love discovering new inspiration. I wonder if you are on Pinterest?

      Delete
  4. A lovely day out Nilly. The photographs of the boats are so vibrant and really come alive, is this a new camera! I love Mr N's images too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same old camera Jayne, but the sun came out - briefly. I wish I could get Mr N up to the fab galleries etc. in Newcastle, but we never seem to find the time!

      Delete
  5. thanks for all your lovely comments Nilly, I seem to be a tad "absent" at the moment from blogging proper, but once life calms down again. . .xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely understand - there is blog life and real life!

      Delete
  6. I agree with Julie about Mr N's photos. Excellent. On my several visits to The Hepworth I have never seen the canal area looking quite as bright and colourful as you have captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky - the sun came out briefly!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed my trip to the Hepworth about a year ago...sounds like I need to make a return visit. Great photos Nilly. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really enjoyed the large diCorcia photography exhibition - but, beware, one room of photos is a bit X-rated, so watch out if it's a family visit.

      Delete
  8. I love the Hepworth and it's not too far from me so i'll have to make sure we catch this exhibition. Your photos are great. As for your question, the last couple of times we have stayed in London, we have stayed at the Premier Inn at Stratford - which is next to the Olympic Park - attached to the Westfield Shopping centre. It is fairly easy to drive to from the M25 and parking is £5 per day weekdays and £8 weekends. There are all forms of transport from the station (5 mins walk from the hotel) . I can highly recommend it - especially if you book when they have the sale on. When we booked it was £59 per night, so when you take your car, it works out a very inexpensive way to stay in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! Thanks so much for this Diane.

      Delete