Wednesday 22 May 2013

DESIGNER PASSION


It has to be acknowledged that fairs like the Arthur Swallow Salvage Show at Ripley near Harrogate last weekend do not cater for the average collector - they are all about design, inspiration and restoration. I was excited to see that the marquees included one full of antique and vintage Indian textiles - I  just happened to be looking for a kantha quilt to cover a sofa.
                                                     

These can be found in some shops, on some high streets, at a price - Toast and Oka are two stockists in Harrogate. They're also on ebay at bargain prices - but online it's difficult to judge quality and condition. At Ripley this lovely seller , who visits India four times a year, had just what I wanted...
                                                        

... a hand-stitched quilt in pretty vintage fabrics, at a price only slightly higher than the ebay offerings.
Moving on, I was pleased to bump into Shelley who used to live on our row of cottages, a few doors away from us. I'd heard that she'd started a new business called PASH selling salvage and stylish curiosities.





I decided that a visit to her shop was long overdue.

*


                          A red brick mill. Outside - simple, serious, a bit mysterious.


Inside? Move over Cath Kidston, this new look is cutting edge...






My favourite things in Shelley's stock - beautiful Victorian floor tiles at £8 each. The utility room floor is definitely due for a makeover...

To see more about PASH, click on this link.

***
                         

18 comments:

  1. Wow... I'm totally blown away by this extravaganza show. And there was me thinking I'm jaded with all the retro prissy bits and bobs. Give me a bit of 'industrial galvanised' and suddenly I'm galvanised into heart-pumping aliveness. Just asked Ted 'Where's Cheshire, far away?' Geography never was my strong point!

    Nilly, is the Ripley Castle an annual event, I could combine a trip with a visit to my folks in York. How am I going to wait another year?

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Ripley Fair will be a yearly event in May, but if you are up in York my friend's shop PASH is just a few miles North of York at Easingwold, on the A19. She has loads of good things.
      She also sells lovely Mark Hearld greetings cards.

      Delete
  2. oh wow- I do apreciate CK although its not "me" furnishing-wise, but this shop is fabulous. Just going over to have a look at the shop.
    Love the quilt you've chosen- the colours are beautiful.
    Once again, wish we lived nearer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist a little bit of CK - I was very fond of her little retro crepe dresses - reminded me of my '60s style.
      (As you can probably tell, I'm trying to brainwash myself into loving the North!)

      Delete
  3. Lots of glorious stuff at Ripley - your Indian quilt is lovely. Shelley is carving out an interesting and unique niche for herself. I don't usually look forward to seeing Utility room floors, but I do yours.
    I suppose you know that OKA belongs to David Cameron's MiL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I do know all about Dave's OKA connection.
      My family relies on me to be their encyclopedia of trivia!

      Delete
  4. oh yeah, I love that shop!! lots of cubbies and drawers.....
    and rust!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall tell Shelley that her fame is spreading to the US!

      Delete
  5. Oh my what a feast for the eyes nilly, that bench with the typography, printers trays, drawers galore, I would be bankrupt if I had visited. Like Lin I would like to know if it is yearly. Your neighbours shop is truly gorgeous, it put me in the mind of RE in Corbridge, such unusual and interesting displays and wares, I am popping over to have a look now. Thanks for a lovely post, did you buy anything other than that beautiful quilt - a really special purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fair will be yearly - it's run by Arthur Swallow who has a website. PASH can easily be found if you travel straight down the A19 from the Tyne Tunnel! It's right beside it, just outside Easingwold.
      Just the quilt this time, Jayne, like you I love textiles and this fair was all stone, metal and wood.

      Delete
  6. I am in love with it all. I miss the gorgeous creative stuff that I just don't find here in Spain. The Spaniards mainly interested in statues of the Virgin and tractors but there's not much in between.
    Love that quilt and PASH is wonderful. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Annie - we do get a few Spanish buyers round our big antiques fairs.

      Delete
  7. What a great event, I haven't heard of it before. Thanks for sharing.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good, especially for garden stuff - I'm hoping to get to Ardingly soon!

      Delete
  8. ~ Wonderful event, Nilly! I would have been all spent up!~Just had a spend at CK over the weekend and I agree all a little bit 'samey'! The tiles behind my cooker (all vintage) I collected for over ten years and stored under my bed! Makes it all the more unique, and I think you appreciate and love what you have created this way! ~ with kindest thoughts....Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't disrespect CK! I've got her little dresses & blouses in my wardrobe, some shopping bags - and her children's things are adorable.

      Delete
  9. Love your quilt and oh how I wish I could visit that shop in person. CK is not really for me ... I just prefer the real thing. M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was once so easy to find original little crepe blouses & dresses like
      CK's at jumble sales - now, sadly, they're a bit more pricey.

      Delete