We escaped down a snickelway in York the other day. We had both been in danger of over-dosing on all this stuff...
This particular snickelway (a recent addition to the Yorkshire vocabulary, snickelway is a combination of snicket, ginnel and alleyway, coined by Mark W. Jones in 1983) is called Hornpot Lane.
Cow horn has always been a cheap and plentiful material. It has been made into many useful items over the centuries: spectacle frames, spoons, window panes - and pots. Here is one we found recently.
This pot - or beaker - was made to commemorate the opening of the Thames Tunnel in early Victorian London, circa 1843. Back in York, the snickelway led us to the 12th century Holy Trinity Church, close by the Minster.
17th century box pews.
This squint hole is in the wall of an enclosed chapel, where lepers were once permitted to attend church services.
15th century stained glass.
Restored, we left peace behind and got back to what was required of us that day.